Sunday 25 August 2013

Double chocolate brownies, lemon brownies & Ferry Fair

This last weekend (9th August) I was in Edinburgh. My sister (and my gorgeous nephew) live in South Queensferry. It's beautiful, such a lovely, quiet seaside town. This weekend was Ferry Fair.

This weekend was lovely. Nice and relaxed, fab weather and the sis and brother in law had a BBQ. As much of a tradition as Ferry Fair itself I'm told.






When I looked into how long Ferry Fair has been going on I found that a local fair dates from the 12th century, but the fair in it's current form dates back to the 1930's.
The fair includes a procession of floats and pipe bands (my favourite part) down the main street and 'the shows'. Fair ground rides to us down in England.









With sis being up there she rarely gets a chance to 'sample my wares', so I thought I'd bake and take some goodies up with me.





The brownie recipe is adapted from a recipe of Joy The Baker's, and the lemon brownie recipe is from http://www.ziplist.com/recipes/574736-Lemony_Lemon_Brownies? I found this on Pinterest...there's the 'P' word again.


Double chocolate brownies - ingredients:
200 grams chocolate
200 grams butter
4 eggs
2 cups of caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup of plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder



You can add pretty much any chocolate you like...I love chopped Mars bars and white chocolate in mine.

 

Melt the chocolate and butter and set aside. Whisk the eggs together with the sugar and vanilla.






Pour in the melted choc and butter mix & stir until combined. 


    Add the flour, baking powder



...and chopped chocolate.

Line a 9" brownie pan with parchment and bake the brownies on GM5 for 30 minutes.

They are done when you insert a skewer and it comes out with a bit of the gooey centre on it...not too much though.

My boy absolutely loves these...and from the look on sis's face when she had one (or should I say 3) so did she.


Now for the lemon ones...

"Brownies"
3/4 cup plain flour
3/4 cup of caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
115 grams unsalted butter
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice


Preheat the oven to GM4.
Zest and juice 2 lemons, set aside.


 In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (I don't actually have one so I had to use my whisk attachments which worked fine), beat the flour, sugar, salt and softened butter. 

In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, lemon zest and juice. Pour into the flour mixture and beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy, scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally.





Tart Lemon Glaze - 
1 rounded cup icing sugar
4 tablespoons lemon juice
8 tablespoons lemon zest

Pour into a prepared 9" baking pan and bake for 23-25 minutes.

Mix the glaze ingredients. 
When the "brownies" are cooled spread some of the glaze over the cake and leave to 'set' for a while. Spread the remaining glaze over the cake and leave to set.




I love how strong the lemon flavour is. A lovely, lively kick.

My boy is not so keen, but that's because he's a chocolate monster.



We had such a fun time up North, the boys playing together, spending quality family time with those we rarely get to see.

I would love to get up to see her more often, but in the meantime there's always Skype.











No comments:

Post a Comment