Monday 4 July 2011

Lemon & Poppy Seed Cupcakes with Lemon Drizzle

I love lemons.


Oh & limes...but not oranges...how strange?!



They have such a beautiful vibrant colour to them. They make me smile...the same way a sunflower makes me smile whenever I see them...my favourite flower.


I love the tang lemons have (I think that's why I like sour sweets so much too), their freshness, the way they clean your palette & these cupcakes have a lovely tang to them. I use low fat natural yoghurt so I don't feel too guilty when I eat 2 or 3, oh who am I kidding, ok 4!!!


Cupcakes:
220g plain flour.
125g caster sugar.
1 tsp baking powder.
3/4 tsp bicarb.
1/4 tsp salt.
1 tbsp lemon zest.
2tbsps poppy seeds.
85g unsalted butter, melted.
250g low fat natural yoghurt.
1 tbsp lemon juice (although I like to use more).


Lemon Drizzle:
80ml lemon juice (again I used more as I like it extra tangy).
4 tbsps sugar.
2 tsps lemon zest.




Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6 or 400f.


Line a cupcake/ muffin pan with cases...like sooooo...








In a bowl mix all your dry ingredients...like sooooo...






Melt the butter & in another bowl mix all you wet ingredients...like sooooo...I'll stop now I promise ;0)




Mix both bowls together until just moist, then spoon batter into the cases....






Pop in the oven & bake for 20/25 minutes.


Lemon drizzle:


In a small pan mix together & heat the lemon drizzle ingredients...




Bring to the boil & then simmer gently until the sugar dissolves...





Once the muffins are ready prick the tops 5 or 6 times...mmm...I think they look good just as they are but they're about to get even better.... :0D




Spoon the drizzle over the warm cupcakes.....






...and, if you're as impatient as I am, enjoy whilst still warm.


Don't they look delish....



Credit: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/8303/lemon-drizzle-muffins.aspx - I changed it slightly by adding poppy seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment